KFC’s Original Recipe: Chicken Thighs, Wings, Legs You Could Try At Home
It’s alright to be obsessed with KFC’s original recipe chicken thighs, wings, or whatever it is – every chicken lover loves it. In a world where fast-food restaurants are everywhere, it’s also easy to have their chicken all the time. And why not? They’re known for serving the tastiest meals in the fast-food industry.
Eating at KFC is a gastronomic experience, but no one could copy how they make their chickens taste for the longest time. It was a top-secret recipe that has eventually partly leaked to the public. Now, everyone can just make their KFC-ish meals at home using KFC’s original recipe (chicken thighs so good you’ll feel like you’re at an actual KFC)
So, if you’re down to attempt to figure out the infamous KFC’s original recipe, chicken thighs flavored with 11 herbs and spices, you’re in the right place. We will guide you to a step-by-step procedure so your chicken can be at its KFC-est! While, according to KFC, no one has ever been correct in copying their recipes, it wouldn’t hurt to try.
KFC’s Original Recipe For Their Finger-Lickin’ Good Chicken
Rumor has it that a food reporter from the Chicago Tribune paid a visit to the house of Colonel Sanders’s nephew. During that fateful visit, he found a copy of the KFC’s original recipe (chicken wings and more). Like anyone in his shoes would do, he snapped a photo and brought it back home with him. It’s their top-secret recipe, after all.
If you want to save some money and not have to go out to get some of KFC’s goodies, you can try to make your chicken with this supposed leaked recipe.
Here are the ingredients:
2 cups of all-purpose flour
2/3 tablespoon of salt
1/2 tablespoon of dried thyme leaves
1/3 tablespoon of dried oregano leaves
1 tablespoon of celery salt
1 tablespoon of ground black pepper
1 tablespoon of dried mustard
4 tablespoons of paprika
2 tablespoons of garlic salt
1 tablespoon of ground ginger
3 tablespoons of ground white pepper
1 cup of buttermilk
1 large egg
1 chicken, cut into 2 wings, 2 thighs, 2 legs, and 2 breasts
vegetable oil for frying
It’s Cooking Time
Now that you’ve gathered all the ingredients you’ll need, here is a step-by-step guide on how you can achieve the perfect KFC chicken. Surprise your friends with your home-cooked chicken by doing these:
- In a small food processor, combine the spices with the same portions. But please note that the thyme, basil, and oregano should be smaller. Once you’ve done this, your kitchen should start smelling like a KFC kitchen.
- In a smaller mixing bowl, combine the flour along with the herbs and spices you just mixed. You have to mix with a whisk to blend all of them perfectly.
- In a second and bigger bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and egg until they are thoroughly combined. The mixture should give you a thick and creamy feel like mixing grits, so if it’s still feeling too liquidy, you should continue mixing for a few more minutes.
- The next thing you have to do will start getting exciting as you will put your slicked chicken in the mixture. Of course, you have to give 20-30 minutes for the chicken to soak in it to make sure it absorbs all the KFC-ness of the buttermilk mixture.
- Then, you should remove the chicken from the buttermilk. You may need to drain any remaining buttermilk from each chicken piece to avoid mess when you start frying them.
- Once you’ve removed the excessive buttermilk, dredge all sides of the chicken pieces in the flour mixture. Brush off the excess so your chicken pieces will only have a proper layer of KFC-inspired breading.
- Before you fry them, you should allow the chicken to rest for 20-30 minutes on a cookie sheet. By now, you’re probably starting to get excited, but allowing your breaded chicken to rest would give it time to absorb all the flavors from your mixture.
- In a deep fryer or a large saucepan, pour enough oil to submerge the chicken thoroughly. This part might get messy, and you will end up using too much oil, which is why cooking one entire chicken would be ideal.
- Before adding the chicken, preheat the oil to 350 degrees and then start frying them for 15-18 minutes in small batches. Yes, it takes that long. But if you’ll be patient, you should be on your way to a very KFC-tasting meal.
- Remove the chicken from the oil and place it on top of a clean cookie sheet on a drying rack so that it would be less oily. You have to remember that KFC’s fried chicken leg’s calories are 130, and you would want to do something to try and lessen the sinful goodness of your chicken.
- By placing the bottom of the chickens on a paper towel or newspaper, they will steam and become softer. You’re almost done once you get here. Voila: your own home-cooked KFC chicken! You can pair it up with whatever food you feel like eating – rice, tofu, fries, etc.
Food Theory: I SOLVED KFC’s Secret Recipe! (KFC Chicken)
Enjoy Your Home-Cooked Finger-Lickin’ KFC Meal
There you have it – KFC’s original recipe, chicken thighs, wings, and legs so good it will make you want to lick your fingers. If you want to give your meal a more authentic KFC vibe, copying their gravy could help. Don’t forget to make your dessert for a complete meal – get some Oreos, cakes, or avocadoes. Enjoy the fruits (and chickens) of your labor.